Start your journey here…. and make a world of difference.
Teaching is more than a career. It’s a chance to make a difference in the world in which we live and to impact the lives of children for generations to come. You can become that person, and along the way you’ll discover that teaching is not only one of the most rewarding careers in the world today, but a lifelong opportunity to affect our future and the world we live in.
Take your first step to becoming a teacher in North Carolina. Whether you are interested in an undergraduate degree in the teaching field, a career changer, or an individual with a Bachelor’s degree in another field entirely; UNC Charlotte’s has the Education Program for you.
Which of the following best describes you? Let us help you navigate your path to teaching:
"I want to be a teacher in North Carolina, but don’t have a degree."
If you are a student seeking a Bachelor’s degree and a North Carolina teaching license, UNC Charlotte may be able to provide the coursework and clinical experience to lead you on the path to making a difference.
"I do not have a degree and want to become a teacher. How do I get started?"
- UNC Charlotte does not offer any online Bachelor’s degree offerings in Teaching, however there are alternatives for you to get the education you seek!
- If you are a student who is seeking a non-traditional course schedule, such as online classes or off-campus classes, consider exploring local community colleges or North Carolina online degree offerings through UNC Online.
- If you are a student who is interested in exploring our on campus bachelor’s level offerings in education, visit the College of Education Website to explore offerings.
- If you are a student at a local community college who needs to take the two required pre-education courses online, we can help you!
- Questions about undergraduate offerings, advising, and teacher licensure? Visit the Office of Teacher Education Advising and Licensure (TEAL) webpage for more.
"I want to be a teacher and have a degree, but not in education."
If you already have a Bachelor’s degree and still want to obtain a teaching license you do not have to earn a second undergraduate degree. The best option will be the Graduate Certificate in Teaching!
Our Graduate certificate allow career changers and those with a Bachelor’s degree in another areas to obtain a North Carolina teaching license and even work towards a Master of Arts in Teaching.
Features of the Graduate Certificate:
- Graduate Certificates build on your bachelor’s degree
- Guide you toward becoming a “highly qualified” and “fully licensed” teacher
- Prepare you for teaching and the “initial” license before entering the classroom OR clear your “provisional” (lateral entry) license while teaching*
- Become an effective, professional, decision-making teacher
"I have a degree and want to obtain my teaching license. How do I get started?"
- Get started by exploring our graduate certificate offerings that can lead to professional licensure. Visit the individual program websites for admissions information and criteria.
- Once you have earned your graduate certificate you may apply to the Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) at a later date.