This specialty requires completion of 38 credit hours in approved courses including:
Core Courses: (9 credit hours)
- NURS 6101 - Theoretical Basis for Nursing Practice (3)
- NURS 6160 - Research in Nursing and Health Professions (3)
- NURS 6115 - Health Policy and Planning in the U.S. (3)
Cognate Courses: (9 credit hours)
- HLTH 6202 - Community Epidemiology (3)
- STAT 6127 - Introduction to Biostatistics (3)
Elective Course: Select one of the following
- NURS 6185 - Theory and Application in the Organizational Behavior to Nursing Systems (3)
- NURS 6187 - Health Informatics and Financial Management for Nurses (3)
- NURS 6188 - Strategic Planning and Decision Making in Nursing (3)
- NURS 6275 - Health Promotion, Nutrition, and Wellness for Older Adults (3)
- NURS 6301 - Curriculum and Instruction in Nursing Education (3)
- NURS 6302 - Trends and Issues in Nursing Education (3)
- NURS 6303 - Instructional Technology in Nursing Education (3)
- ELDT 5100 - Technology Integration in Education (3)
- ELDT 6000 - Topics in Instructional Systems Technology (1-6)
- ELDT 6100 - Foundations of Instructional Systems Technology (3)
- ELDT 6101 - Learning Principles in Instructional Systems Technology (3)
- ELDT 6110 - Instructional Design (3)
- ELDT 6135 - Learning Media, Resources, and Technology (3)
System Core Courses: (6 credit hours)
- NURS 6211 - Health Disparities and Nursing (3) or
- NURS 6090 - Selected Topics in Nursing (1-3) (Study Abroad)
- NURS 6212 - Program Improvement and Evaluation (3)
Specialty Courses: (11 credit hours)
- NURS 6180 - Community/Public Health Nursing Theory and Practice (3)
- NURS 6480 - Community/Public Health Nursing Internship I (3)
- NURS 6481 - Community/Public Health Nursing Internship II (3)
- NURS 6210 - Family Health in Advanced Practice Nursing (2)
Capstone Courses: (3 credit hours)
- NURS 6603 - Synthesis in Advanced Nursing Practice (3)
Additional Degree Requirements:
- Courses in the C/PHN specialty area are offered alternate years.
- Community/Public Health Nursing courses are only offered online through Distance Education. Core and Selected Core courses can be taken on campus or online as published in the Schedule of Courses.
- A total of 500 clinical hours is required to complete the program.
- Students must maintain a minimum 3.0 (“B”) GPA in their graduate courses, and may not accumulate more than two “C” grades.
- Faculty Advising is required.