In all cases, students are advised to put their concerns in writing and carefully document the events that led to the complaint or grievance. Concerns should be expressed as soon as possible after the event occurs; some of the procedures have specific deadlines for filing grievances or complaints.
STEP 1 (Available to all UNC Charlotte students)
- The Student Assistance and Support Services (SASS) unit in the Dean of Students Office can provide guidance about grievances and appropriate avenues to express concerns about University experiences.
Student Assistance and Support Services
King 118, UNC Charlotte campus
9201 University City Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28223Phone: (704) 687-0289Email: email@example.com
- To file a complaint, use the Student Grievance Report form. For more information, see University Policy 411, Student Grievance Procedure.
STEP 2 (Available to all UNC Charlotte students)
- If a complaint cannot be resolved to the student's satisfaction through the institution’s complaint process, students may file a complaint with the North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints unit. Please review the NC Post-Secondary Education Student Complaint Policy (PDF), print and complete the Student Complaint Form (PDF) and submit the complaint to:
North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina System Office
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688
Phone: (919) 962-4550
STEP 3 (For complaints regarding online courses or programs)
- If the complaint is not resolved to the student's satisfaction after completing steps one and two AND the complaint pertains to online/distance education, students may also file a complaint through SARA North Carolina (SARA-NC). SARA-NC is a program of the North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority that serves as the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA) portal entity in North Carolina. Students should follow the SARA-NC Complaint Process and use the SARA-NC Complaint Form (PDF). Please note: SARA North Carolina does not accept complaints regarding grades or student conduct violations.
SARA North Carolina
North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority
P.O. Box 14103
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Toll Free Phone: (855) SARA-1-NC (727-2162)
Phone: (919) 549-8614, ext. 4667
STEP 4 (Available to all UNC Charlotte students)
- If the complaint is not resolved to the student's satisfaction after completing steps one through three, students may also contact UNC Charlotte’s regional accrediting agency, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Students who file a complaint with the accrediting agency should follow the SACSCOC complaint procedure.
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, GA 30033-4097
STEP 5 (For out-of-state students with complaints regarding online courses or programs)
- If the complaint involves online learning and is not resolved to the student's satisfaction after completing steps one through four, students who reside outside the state of North Carolina may also appeal to the post-secondary education licensing agency in the state in which they reside. Contact information for each state’s post-secondary education licensing agency is available on the State Regulatory Agencies page.