Distance Education Student Checklist
Some steps you can take to be successful*
To Do Before Classes Start
- Review the “New & Current Student Guide” on the distance education website, complete the online Orientation requirements and take the completion test in Canvas.
- Order your required textbooks
- Review the technical specifications
- Read about how to setup and use your University NinerMail account.
- Review the Online Student Services Backpack so you know what services and resources are available to you as a current UNC Charlotte student.
- Contact the distance education office or your program manager if you have any questions
First Week of Courses
- Log into Canvas to see your course. Faculty typically open the course in Canvas on the first day of classes.
- Contact your instructor with any questions you have about the syllabus, textbook or other course requirements.
- Check to see if your course will require proctored exams; make sure you understand what you need to do to be ready for your proctored exams.
- Refer to your distance education program website for information and updates
- Read the Academic Calendar for important dates
- Familiarize yourself with policies listed in the Undergraduate catalog and Graduate catalog
During the Course
- Login to your course several times per week
- Review announcements
- Contribute to class discussions
- Ask the instructor for clarification on assignments
- Schedule time in your week for readings, assignments, etc.
End of Course
- Complete final papers, projects and exams.
- Complete the online course evaluation
- Contact your advisor to make sure you understand which course(s) you should register for next term. Once registration is open, register for the next term
Nearing Graduation/ program completion
- Contact your advisor to confirm you are “on-track” to graduate
- You must apply for graduation. Applications must be submitted early in the term. Make sure you meet the deadline!
*This is not an exhaustive list.