The Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction (prior to Spring 2019 was known as Master of Education in Middle and Secondary Education) is a 33-credit-hour program that leads to the Advance (M) teaching license.
This degree offers three concentrations with the following content areas:
- Middle Grades English/language arts (6-9)
- Middle Grades Mathematics (6-9)
- Middle Grades Science (6-9)
- Middle Grades Social Studies (6-9)
- Secondary Education English/language arts (9-12)
- Secondary Education Mathematics (9-12)
- Secondary Education Science (9-12)
- Secondary Education Social Studies (9-12)
- Teaching English as a Second Language (K-12)
The selected concentration must match the candidate’s Professional Educator’s Initial License, as issued by the state of North Carolina for students seeking an “M” license.
Who would benefit from this program?
- The program is designed for experienced, licensed, practicing teachers the opportunity to expand their knowledge and skills through an accessible and flexible online education program.
What can I expect to learn in this program?
- Areas of study include educational research methodology, curriculum theory, analysis of teaching, advanced methodology, and curriculum development, including the application of technology in teaching
- The program also includes advanced coursework in the candidate's initial-licensure area